In 2016, Snow Canyon State Park and the Friends of Snow Canyon partnered to re-vamp the park’s Jr. Ranger program. Rebranded as ROCKIN’ Jr. Ranger (Reaching Out Connecting Kids in Nature), the program is geared towards kids ages 6 and up. Children can complete the ROCKIN Jr. Ranger activity guide to earn their Jr. Ranger badge.
During the summer months children also have the opportnuity to earn their badge by taking part in on-site activities. Past programs include:
- Make Your Own Rock Art – While rock art is quite beautiful, chances are it wasn’t created for its looks. Rock art, such as petroglyphs, was used to convey messages and ideas. Explore a small rock art site and learn who created it and discuss it’s meaning.
- Wildlife Detectives – Discover which animals live in the Park. Learn how to decipher clues they leave behind. Included is a short activity on signs of desert wildlife.
- Here Comes the Sun: Discover what solar spots are and get the chance to view the sun safely with a Sun Spotter! Learn more about UV protection and why it’s important when having outdoor fun.
- Coming soon! Kid’s Corner More ways to learn about the park. There will be a Kid friendly map, photos and games. These tools will encourage learning more about Snow Canyon whether during a visit to the park or later at home.
- The ROCKIN’ SNOW CANYON Jr Activity Booklets are made possible by the Friends of Snow Canyon State Park.